Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The inspiration

Why?
This is a common question I am asked when I tell people about the trip.
Well, the inspiration came when I was sitting in the Upper Caples hut taking it easy after knocking out the Routeburn the previous day.
Te Araroa the trail of NZ had recently been released. I had examined the route with great disappointment, noting that the "cool stuff" around the southern lakes has been excluded, in particular the popular traverse from makarora township to the divide via the wilkin, east matuktuki, dart and routeburn.
So in early 2006 sitting in the caples valley with a NZ falcon over looking us it was a great pleasure to learn that there had been a competing venture. The hut warden, Chris Gulley my third cousin whom I have never met and another bloke had completed a three month multi sport journey of Aotearoa combining Kayaking, Cycling and Tramping. This route took the more adventurous route including the copland pass and paddling Te Anau. This occured at approximatly the same time as Te Araroa but Greg Chappels walk recieved prominance because the trio's route was considered too hard by eminent outdoorsman like Bob Harvey.
Since that moment I have dreamed of a tremendous tramping trip to mark the end of my studies. It was initially planned to be from Farewell Spit to west cape but time got in the way and I was told that I should start work by febuary.

1 comment:

  1. Um hello, you haven't responded to my past comment by uploading your photo, or your contact details. This indicates a very passive-aggressive nature. That means you are mentally unwell. So i don't want you. Unless of course unforeseen circumstances have prevented you responding to me. In which case feel free to upload your contact details. And do so quickly. Many people want me. Your friends are jealous. They night not say so, but they are.

    ReplyDelete