Monday, December 28, 2009

Details of Accident

Thought I would update everyone a bit mores specificly on what went on, I intend to back tell a few of the stories as a lot of letters have yet to be posted onine and then Andy and Anton are off for Leg 5 at some point too which will be an adventure in itself.
On the 22nd Andy was troubled by the tendons in his Archillies so we decided that he would rest up on the next day at red hut. As the weather was splendid I decided to go for a climb and headed off for the relativly sedate north ridge of the Dasler Pinnacles. This is a simple rock scramble and the summit was joyously reached offering AMAZING views. On the down climb I must have got a bit off track as I ended up down climbing a vertical section but there had always been heaps of hand holds so no biggy and only seamed about 1m high.
Anyway it was actually higher and it became fractionally overhung and the hand holds got worse. At this point when I thoughT I was secure I slipped and fell. It is unclear whether the rocks (that are somewhat prone to moving) moved or I just slipped.
I fell and then rolled at least once and managed to catch myself with my hands. I managed to bandage myself up with my first aid kit (THATS WHY YOU CARRY ONE) and hobbled 8 hours back to red hut. Andy who was all set to come find me at 4am was very relieved to hear my whistles and yells. I parked up on a bunk and using our Canterbury Mountain Radio we alerted the authorities and a helicopter landed at 6am the next morning. I would like to note here that it would have been plausible for me to be driven out assuming the truck was big good enough to cross the Hopkins river.
Back to Twizel medical centre and a bottle and a half of laughing gas, morphine, chocolate a Dr still in his rowing gear and I had about 40+ stitches putting me back together.
The wound itself had cut through the skin layer and slightly damaged the muscle layer but not very badly. I had a flap of skin like a piece of steak hanging off me. It is located on my quadracept on the outside of the lower left quad and runs down to my knee.
The nurse Libby MacLean at the medical centre happened to be the partner of one of the guys we met at the hut the night before (Callum). Out of the kindness of their heart they invited us back to their house to sort our stuff out. The other bloke who was at the hut, Clifton, was driving to Christchurch that afternoon (christmas eve) so we also managed to get our Mt Cook food box and get a ride with him to my mums cousins. What amazing people!!!!!!!
We also managed to get $60 flights home awesome.
So both of us got home for xmas, though I ended up spending most of it in auckland hospital getting a double dose of I V antibiotics as there were fears of infection.
I am getting better and am permantly parked up on the couch with my leg up in the air. It will be a long time before the wounds heal enough for me to get back into the mountains but I know it could have been so much worse.
If you have any more questions ask away either here or contact me personally.
Im also going to add when I fell I was wearing a helmet, I was carrying enough spare clothes and food with me that I could bivvy the night. Andy knew all that along with my intentions and I knew what Andy would do if I was late back. For what was a simple day walk we were prepared and it paid off.
I have had a great 5 or so weeks in the hills. Big thanks to everyone who helped make it possible and to those who helped get me home safely.
Cheers
Rion & Rhino
ps. If you want I can post wound photos will post some mountain photos shortly too

No comments:

Post a Comment